(Venkata Rama) Kiran Garimella
I am a PhD student at Aalto University, Helsinki, working under the supervision of Prof. Aris Gionis. My PhD thesis is on identifying and countering online filter bubbles using algorithmic techniques. My broad research interests include Social Computing, Computational Social Science, Graphs, Data Mining, and Machine Learning.
Before starting my PhD, I worked at Yahoo Research and Qatar Computing Research Institute for a few years (more here). I completed my Masters (by research) and Bachelors (Honours) in Computer Science from IIIT-Hyderabad under the supervision of Prof. Vikram Pudi.
During my research career, I've been fortunate enough to work on a wide range of topics, incudling Data Mining, Natural Language Processing, Distributed Computing, and Computational Social Science. I've also been involved in many inter disciplinary projects, invovling social scientists, psychologists, political scientists, journalists and demographers (See publications). My work has been covered extensively in the international media.
- I'll be graduating soon and I'm looking for post-doc positions!
- Jun 2017: Best Student Paper award at WebSci 2017.
- May 2017: I won the ICWSM Science slam!! :)
- Apr 2017: One full, two short and one poster papers accepted at WebScience.
- Mar 2017: Three short papers accepted at ICWSM.
- Feb 2017: Two posters and a demo accepted at WWW 2017!
- Feb 2017: Our tutorial titled 'Polarization on Social Media' has been accepted at ICWSM 2017! (Slides)
- Feb 2017: Gave talks at Kings College, Queen Mary University (London) and University of Edinburgh about Polarization on social media (Slides).
- Feb 2017: Best Student Paper award at WSDM 2017.
- Nov 2016: Gave a fun talk at Science Slam Helsinki about our paper on relationship breakups (Slides).
- Oct 2016: Gave a talk at PyCon Helsinki about visualising Twitter discussions (Link, Video).