doctor of science, docent
Room T-B305 in Computer Science Building,
Konemiehentie 2, Otaniemi campus area, Espoo
- Postal Address:
Department of Information and Computer Science,
P.O. Box 15400, FI-00076 Aalto, Finland
- +358 50 5225750 (primary) +358 50 4301659 (secondary)
I am working
in the Deep Learning and Bayesian Modelling group
in the Department of
Information and Computer Science
in Aalto University School of Science.
concerns studying latent variable models in nonlinear, high-dimensional, and
After my doctoral degree, I have returned to basics in a sense, improving very basic machine learning methods such as
principal component analysis and the restricted Boltzmann machine. My application areas
range from control of mechanical systems to classification of proteins. My latest interest is deep learning.
You can read more from my project page (2010-2012), thesis page (2006), or publication list.
I am also working for ZenRobotics
Ltd. as a senior scientist. See videos trailer 1 and trailer 2 about ZenRobotics.
- Machine Learning: Basic Principles (2009, 2010)
- Learning Deep Architectures for AI (2010)
- Machine Learning: Advanced Probabilistic Methods (2008, 2009)
- Research Project in Computer and Information Science (2008)
- Principles of Pattern Recognition (assistant 2006, 2007)
- Information Visualization (assistant 2004)
- Tele Hao (MSc 2012)
- Tommi Vatanen (MSc 2012)
- Roberto Calandra (MSc 2011)
- KyungHyun Cho (MSc 2011)
- António Gusmão (MSc 2011)
- Katariina Nyberg (MSc 2011)
- Matti Tornio (MSc 2010)
- Markus Harva (MSc 2004)
I am active in the Finnish Artificial Intelligence Society,
having been the organising chair of some of its conferences (SCAI 2006, STeP 2008),
and the local arrangement chair of the MLSP 2010 workshop.
I have also been the academic coordinator of the
Master's programme on Machine Learning and Data Mining.
I am interested in board games,
I have for instance implemented AI players for Go
and some connection games.
I also sing in vocal groups and enjoy music. My latest hobby is juggling.
packages released by the Bayes group