Assistant Professor, Academy Research Fellow
Room A323 in Computer Science Building,
Konemiehentie 2, Otaniemi campus area, Espoo
- Postal Address:
Department of Computer Science,
P.O. Box 15400, FI-00076 Aalto, Finland
- +358 50 4301659 (office) +358 50 5225750 (personal)
I lead the Deep Learning and Bayesian Modelling research group
in Aalto University School of Science.
My research topic is deep learning.
After my doctoral degree, I returned to basics of machine learning, improving methods such as
principal component analysis and the restricted Boltzmann machine. My application areas have ranged from control of mechanical systems to image segmentation and classification of proteins. My h-index is 16 and my Erdös number is 3.
Around 2013, I was mainly working for ZenRobotics Ltd. as a senior scientist, and only held a side-job at the university. See a video from ZenRobotics.
In 2014, I visited Yoshua Bengio's group for 5 months.
See my list of publications for details.
- Artificial Intelligence (2015)
- Machine Learning: Basic Principles (2009, 2010)
- Learning Deep Architectures for AI (2010)
- Machine Learning: Advanced Probabilistic Methods (2008, 2009)
- Research Project in Computer and Information Science (2008)
- Principles of Pattern Recognition (assistant 2006, 2007)
- Information Visualization (assistant 2004)
- Mudassar Abbas (2015-)
- Pyry Takala (2014-)
- Antti Rasmus (2014-)
- Mathias Berglund (2013-)
- KyungHyun Cho (DSc 2014)
- Miquel Perelló Nieto
- Jelena Luketina
- Pyry Takala
- Pekka Toiminen
- Tele Hao (MSc 2012)
- Tommi Vatanen (MSc 2012)
- Roberto Calandra (MSc 2011)
- KyungHyun Cho (MSc 2011)
- António Gusmão (MSc 2011)
- Katariina Nyberg (MSc 2011)
- Matti Tornio (MSc 2010)
- Markus Harva (MSc 2004)
I am active in the Finnish Artificial Intelligence Society,
having been the organising chair of some of its conferences (SCAI 2006, STeP 2008),
and the local arrangement chair of the MLSP 2010 workshop.
I have also been the academic coordinator of the
Master's programme on Machine Learning and Data Mining.
I am interested in board games,
I have for instance implemented AI players for Go
and some connection games.
I also sing in the Helsinki Music Centre Choir. My latest hobby is juggling.
packages released by the Deep Learning and Bayesian Modelling group