Dr. Emilia Oikarinen
Room B356, Computer Science Building, Otaniemi
- +358 50 430 1461
My most recent research involves application of data mining methods
on e.g. fossil data and studying equivalence relations for abstract
Overall I'm interested in constraint-based reasoning methods
(in particular, but not limited to, nonmonotonic reasoning,
answer set programming,
aspects of modularity and equivalence, ...), algorithmic data mining, and
combinations of the topics.
Starting from August 2010 I have worked as postdoctoral researcher
at Department of Information and Computer Science at Aalto
Currently, I'm working on a Academy of Finland funded post-doctoral
project "Constraint-Based Reasoning for Data Mining" (Sep.
2011-Jan. 2016, during 2012 and 2013 I have been mostly on
maternal/parental leave / working part-time).
I'm affiliated with Computational Logic
Between Jan.-July 2010, I worked as postdoctoral researcher
at Algorithmic Data Analysis (Algodan) Centre of Excellence at
Helsinki Institute for Information Technology HIIT/ Department of
Computer Science at University of Helsinki.
During the years 2001-2009 I worked on Academy of Finland funded projects:
Methods for Constructing and Solving Large Constraint
Constraint Programming Techniques for Large Structured Problems (2005-2007), and
Applications of Rule-Based Constraint Programming (2002-2005).
A complete list of my publications with downloadable papers and bibtex entries
is available organized by type and
An (incomplete) listing of my publications is available also at
Most recent papers
- Answer Set Solver Backdoors, to appear in JELIA 2014
Resolution-based grounded semantics revisited, to appear in COMMA 2014
Convergence in the distribution patterns of Europe's plants and
mammals is due to environmental forcing. Journal of Biogeography, 2012
- Characterizing strong equivalence for argumentation frameworks.
Artif. Intell. 175(14-15), 2011
- Academic coordinator of Master's Programme in Foundations of
Advanced Computing, Aalto University, August 2013 ->
Publicity chair of JELIA 2010,
12th European Conference on Logics in Artificial Intelligence, September
13-15, 2010, Helsinki, Finland
Information and Computer Science Forum (ICS Forum) from August to
- PC Chair of 4th International Workshop on Logic and Search
(LaSh 2014), Vienna, Austria, July 18, 2014.
- PC member of 7th Workshop on Answer Set Programming and Other
2014), Vienna, Austria, July 23, 2014.
- PC member of 6th Workshop on Answer Set Programming and Other
2013), Istanbul, Turkey, August 25, 2013.
- PC member of 5th Workshop on Answer Set Programming and Other
2012), Budabest, Hungary, September 4, 2012.
PC member of 13th International Conference on Principles of Knowledge
Representation and Reasoning
(KR 2012), Rome, Italy,
June 10-14, 2012.
Senior PC member of Twenty-Second International Joint Conference on
Barcelona, Spain, July 16-22, 2011.
PC member of 27th International Conference on Logic Programming
(ICLP 2011), Lexington,
Kentucky USA, July 6-10, 2011.
- PC member of 4th Workshop on Answer Set Programming and Other
2011), Lexington, Kentucky USA, July 10, 2011.
PC member of of 1st Workshop on
Grounding and Transformations for Theories with Variables
(GTTV 2011), Vancouver,
Canada, May 2011.
PC member of Twenty-Fourth Conference on Artificial Intelligence
Atlanta, Georgia, USA, July 11-15, 2010.
- PC member of 3rd Workshop on Answer Set Programming and Other
Edinburgh, UK, July 20, 2010.
PC member of
4th International Workshop on Answer Set Programming
Porto, Portugal, September 8 and 13, 2007.
- PC member of
Workshop on Correspondence and Equivalence for Nonmonotonic Theories (CENT 2007), Tempe,
Arizona, USA, May 14-16, 2007.
- Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research (JAIR): 2013, 2014
- Artificial Intelligence: 2012
- AI Communications: 2010
- ACM Transactions on Computational Logic (TOCL): 2010, 2009
- Theory and Practice of Logic Programming (TPLP): 2008
- Journal of Logic and Computation (JLC): 2008
- Mathematical Reviews (MR): 2009 ->
- International Symposium on
Principles and Practice of Declarative Programming (PPDP): 2013
- RCRA International Workshop on
"Experimental Evaluation of Algorithms for Solving Problems with
Combinatorial Explosion": 2013
- International Conference on Logic Programming
and Non Monotonic Reasoning (LPNMR): 2013, 2011, 2005
- International Workshop on Non-Monotonic Reasoning (NMR): 2012
- Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI): 2011
- International Conference on Scalable Uncertainty Management
- European Conference on Logics in Artificial Intelligence (JELIA):
2010, 2008, 2004
- International Conference on Principles of Knowledge
Representation and Reasoning (KR): 2008
- International Conference on Logic Programming (ICLP): 2005, 2004
- Answer Set Programming: Advances in Theory and Implementation
- International Conference on Logic for Programming
Artificial Intelligence and Reasoning (LPAR): 2005
- Post-doctoral research grant for project "Constraint-Based
Reasoning for Data
Mining", Academy of
Sep. 2011-Jan. 2016
Aalto University School of Science and Technology postdoc
project "Compositional Nonmonotonic Constraints for
Building and Reasoning about Large Knowledge Bases",
Aug. 2010-(July 2013)
Funded graduate school position for
Jan. 2004-Dec. 2007, Helsinki
Graduate School in Computer Science and Engineering (HeCSE)
- Grant for doctoral studies, Finnish Foundation for Technology
Promotion TES, 2008 and 2006
Grant for doctoral studies, Emil Aaltonen Foundation, 2007
Grant for doctoral studies, Kainuu
Foundation of Finnish Cultural Foundation, 2006 and 2005
Nokia Scholarship, Nokia Foundation, 2004
Courses lectured (responsible teacher for)
T-79.3001 Logic in Computer Science: Foundations,
T-79.144 Logic in Computer Science: Foundations,
T-79.1001 Introduction to Theoretical Computer Science T,
T-79.148 Introduction to Theoretical Computer Science,
T-79.1002 Introduction to Theoretical Computer Science Y,
T-79.5102 Special Course in Computational Logic,
T-79.161 Combinatorial Algorithms,
Mat-1.4xx Basic Course in Mathematics P1/P2/C1/C3,
Autumn 1999 - Autumn 2001.
Instruction of thesis
- Mai Nguyen, Preferential Optimization of University Students'
Timetables, Master's thesis, January 2012
- Academic coordinator of Master's Programme in Foundations of
(FAdCo), August 2013 ->
Pedagogical Course for University Level Teachers in Engineering and
Natural Sciences (YOOP),
approx. 22.5 ETCS, completed in October 2004.